Alice M. Holmes Library

"In the beginning there was a library. Almost the first heartbeat of the Tulsa Garden Center was a ‘gardeners reference library’," wrote the author of an early history of the Library. Organized in December 1950, before there even was a Garden Center, the Library opened on borrowed shelves in the Brookside Branch of the Tulsa City-County Library. It was staffed by volunteers from the affiliated clubs in the Tulsa Council of Garden Clubs who manned a telephone and answered gardening questions using the resources at hand -- 167 volumes accumulated in the first year -- or calling on the expertise of area gardeners and horticulturists.

In October 1954, the Center and the Library moved into their new home, an elegant Italian Renaissance villa and a handsome first floor paneled library accented with marble and gold leaf. In two years, however, the Library had outgrown this beautiful room and moved to a more spacious location on the second floor.

Today, the Garden Center Library is located next to the Ballroom on the lower level of the villa. It encompasses over 5,000 volumes on floriculture, horticulture, botany, landscape design and maintenance, disease and pest control, floral arts, birds, and conservation plus large collections of nursery and gardening catalogs, gardening-related periodicals, videos, and garden-related ephemera. Considered to be one of the finest horticultural libraries in the region, its mission is to serve the information needs of gardeners, students, researchers, and professional horticulturists.

The Library contains both circulating and non-circulating materials. Tulsa Garden Center members enjoy checkout privileges while the general public is welcome to use library resources onsite. Volunteers staff the Library and can assist library users in finding materials.

The Library hours are 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Tuesday through Saturday. If you would be interested in volunteering in the library, call 746-5136. Elevator access is available to its second floor location. For more information about the Library and its holdings please call 746-5134.

BOOK DISCUSSION CLUB   (Click here for details)